Friday, 1 October 2010

How to get married in Denmark

If the person you want to marry is not allowed into the UK due to not having a valid UK visa, one option is to get married in Denmark. You do not have to be living in Denmark to be able to get married there.

Contact Svendborg Town Hall to let them know you want to get married.
E-mail: Phone: 0045 6223 3000

Transfer the payment of 500 Dkr to Svendborg Town Hall's bank account

Opening Times:

>Email the documents*
>Fill out the marriage form
>Wait 2 weeks
>Phone to make an appointment
>Arrange to be there 3 days before the wedding to present the original documents.
>Arrange a guest house, bed and breakfast or hotel for the duration of your stay**.
>On the day of the wedding, sign up at Entrance B at the Town Hall.

Svendborg Town Hall is known as Svendborg Kommune. Their website is here:
The marriage page is here:

*The documents you will need are listed on the marriage page

These include each person's birth certificate, passport, visa, residence permit, and a certificate of marital status***.

** I personally recommend this Guest House:

Poul Erik Andersen
Bregnedalsvej 22
5700 Svendborg
+45 62216677

Directions from Guest house to the Town Hall on Google Maps

The guest house is up quite a steep hill, but the view from up there is quite picturesque and well worth it!

Getting there: If you are travelling to Svendborg from Germany, I recommend the scenic route which includes a ferry ride!

See the route on Google maps

*** In my experience, trying to get proof of my marital status in the UK (single at the time) was not so straight forward. The Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages could only tell me that if I had a marriage certificate they could prove I was married. But not having a marriage certificate does not automatically prove the negative. They don't supply a letter or a certificate to say "No record of marriage found".

To get round this problem, I went to a "Notary Public" at a Solitor's office and made an appointment to present myself and my passport and birth certificate and the Notary Public was able to give me a genuine certificate with a red seal and a stamp which certified my single marital status.

This had to then be sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to legalize it, which means getting it stamped and signed by Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs. This process of authorisation is referred to as "authorisation", "legalization" or "having it apostilled".

I recommend : David W Coupland Notary Public, Church Steps, All Saints Square, Rotherham, South Yorkshire S60 1QD, who specialises in documentation for Weddings Overseas and Verification Of Certificates and Authentication of identity. Tel: 01709 912130 Mob: 07964 298762

My Notary Public included "having it apostilled" in with the price of the certificate.

Once you have the original back, then you can send it by email to the Svendborg Town Hall and take it with you in person when you go.

More links: Getting Married in Denmark

Lastly, I couldn't write a post about Denmark without mentioning my fellow Blogger, Twitter and Flybaby friend DianeDenmark who writes about daily life in Denmark and even blogs for the country's own official blog. You never know, you might end up living there too!


  1. Awww, thanks for the mention! :D

    I have bookmarked this post so that, if I ever need to marry (another) Dane, I will know where to go... ;D

    1. Thank you for this loving and thoughtful page. I a wondering how a person fro Palestine could get a visitor visa to Denmark without a sponsor there. Would a hotel and wedding booking suffice?